August 30, 2008

Travel Writing

First vindication, then felt cheated before finally comes understanding and an epiphony!

With today being the first say off work, I spent most of the day at home sorting out bank stuff, cameras, mobiles phones and my sisters photo gallery { as she is unable to download the stuff onto her own PC due to it being second hand from Noah's Ark }.
At around 4pm I sorted out myself, got some last minute bits of shopping for tomorrow and then left to meet up with some friends in London who were having a reunion / leaving party / returning party and early double birthday celebration all rolled into one.
In all the world I have never seen as nice a sight as Paula and her friends all dressed up to thrill and dancing in tight formation to some banging club tunes. I cursed myself a dozen times as my new phone camera { 5 mega pixels but no zoom and a flash that isn't worth squat } was incapable of taking even a half decent photo and thus I have nothing to show for one of the best nights I have had in a long time.
The night went well and as I hadn't had much to eat I was drunk before I knew it, after which I switched back on soft drinks by about 10pm so as to be semi-sober for the train home instead of trying to not throw up each time the train lurched one way or the other.
During the train journey back to GIllingham I happened to be sitting along side a couple of women, and with no one else doing much talking it was impossible not overhear some of their conversation. One was in her early forties, full of figure and looking like she would not be out of place in the Caribbean, the other was in her early to mid thirties, of Indian background and of a mild and modest demeanor.
About half way through the hours journey their topic of conversation somehow meandered onto travel and I was shocked, surprised and elated to overhear the Indian lady say that when she was only 25 she herself went on a solo round the world trip, starting in Japan and covering many parts of the far east and Australia.
The first thing that went through my mind was that this was yet another example of someone who went away, did it and came back alive and well, thus proving it can be done and that all the horror stories should not put me off.
The next thing that occurred to me is that as she had done it, and on her own, as a slim and single woman this made her trip even more hazardous and potentially dangerous than my own, and if she had not chose to write about her trip then what makes me think that anyone will want to read mine. The fact that she had not booked and planned it in half as much detail as I have, meant even more than she was travelling by the seat of her pants and thus my effort is tame and controlled by comparison.
Luckily just before anger, frustration and depression at my efforts being poo pooed by this woman without her realising it I suddenly realised the error of my logic and found reassurance.
About 5 years ago I also travelled to the far east for about 18 days without a plan and without a fixed itinerary, and upon reflection I felt that a lot of my time could have been better spent and I could certainly have done it a lot cheaper too.
Realising that I have managed to organise some cracking deals on flights and accommodation, I came to the conclusion that her idea was more chaotic and thus without any formal structure as long as she came back alive and in one piece it could only be viewed as a success. However she probably wasted a lot of time looking for cheap accommodation, she probably did not make the best use of her time in each city and she could also probably done it cheaper had she given it more forward planning.
Now far from trying to diminish her mighty effort, which was of course both brave and successful, I am taking on board her comments but also it has finally helped crystallize in my mind who I am writing this book for and how.
In a nutshell I am writing this book for everyone that has an interest in travel.
It is for all the people who have already travelled around the world and want to compare their adventure to mine { for better or worse }.
It is for all the people who have yet to pluck up the courage to go it alone and ask their boss for a year sabbatical.
It is for all the people who have decided to go away travelling but have no idea of where to start looking for tips, suggestions and practical advice from someone who has already done it, and recently.
It is for all the people who know of people who are about to go around the world and want / need reassurance that it can be done and done safely.
It is for all the people who, for one reason or another, are unable to go travelling themselves but who can at least slightly live out their dreams through me vicariously.
It is for all the people who love reading epic stories where the little guy says "up-yours" to the big corporations and goes it alone - and succeeds.
My travels, and my book, do not have to be bigger, bolder and more life threatening than any other writers. I am not trying to say that my trip is great and everyone else's is naff when compared to mine, and of course there will be some people for which a book on travel holds no interest.
All I have to do is to keep it realistic, make sure that it's entertaining first and foremost and then just cram in plenty of helpful tips and facts, plus some good photos, and I should have all the makings of a book that although it might not be an overnight best seller of Harry Potter proportions, could find a happy home in most well stocked libraries, be they private or public.

1 comment:

David said...

The nutshell is good.

Post a Comment