August 10, 2008

Internet and Contacts

I had a bit of a rude awakening the other day when I learned that even though my laptop was wifi ready that I would still need to get a modem before I could access a wireless network { unless I was actually sitting on top of the bloody router !!! } and also that as the rest of the world was very sparse with wifi servers and routers that I would also probably need a modem from one of the mobile companies in order to have access.
 
I was even more shocked when I looked at the prices of the overseas internet costs and found that the cheapest was £10 for 30 days of the lightest email contact in existence or for more routine websurfing I could be charged anything from £4 per day upward.
 
Realising that I have already spend hundreds on the laptop and that I am trying to spend under £10 per night for accommodation, it is totally unrealistic for me to spend half as much on web surfing as on providing a roof over my head for the upcoming trip.
 
If I had realised this at the start, I would have made a bit more of an effort to book into accommodation that offered free wifi in their rooms, and I am only glad that I still have a few weeks left to check the facilities of my booking and rebook the odd reservation to include it I find myself suffering a long stretch without internet access.
 
Following my old computers giving up the ghost and my buying my new laptop, I did not appreciate how much I would lose in the way of not only photos, music and programs but also in contact information. Thus it was that I found myself spending at least a couple of hours, again, searching all through my emails and various websites that I frequent for the details of friends and family in order to ensure that I had the latest information on my phone, my gmail account and my outlook.
 
I had planned on spending the rest of the weekend emailing my friends around the world, however one email stopped me cold and had my nerves and doubts in a stranglehold of fear and panic.
 
It seemed innocent enough, being a minor flight time change from one of the many airports that I am due to fly with, however that fact that that send shivers down my spine was that it was for a flight on the wrong date. Quickly finding the original email confirmation I noticed for the first time that it too was for a completely different date than the one I needed and had scheduled.
 
A few minutes { and a AUS$20 processing fee } later I was now back on track with the right flight on the right day, but knowing that I had booked most of my itinerary late at night, accepting that this error was mine and not there is and also that I had not picked up on it before, now all my earlier doubts returned to haunt me and I knew that the only thing to alleviate my fears was that in the cold light of day to go back through all my bookings one by one, ensuring that no more Dickon errors had crept into the schedule undetected.

No comments:

Post a Comment