August 28, 2008

D-Day minus 3

D-day may be just the other side of the weekend, but the start of my life starts right here right now.
I have not just officially left my work, but even the extra tempt work in the final run up to leaving the UK has now finished.

I have collected my P45, I have emptied what was my desk, I have wiped what was my computer, I have said my goodbyes, I have had one last meal with the faces that I have come to know as well as my own and I have signed myself out for the very last time.

- No more early commuter runs to a city miles away, to work for a job that is neither exciting nor inspiring.
- No more fussing with suits, ties and wondering how I can ever make it to lunchtime without going out falling asleep.
- No more pathetic office one-up-manships and office politics to bore me to tears.

But it was not all bad, or I would never have put up with it for so long.
- No more sharing lunches with my friends in the park.
- No more free broadband internet and landline calls.
- No more regular income, free health care or additional pension contributions.

From now on I have just my forward planning, quick wits, previous travelling experience and occasionally the added guidance of a friendly face, to navigate me from the safety of my home town to the further reaches on the planet and back again, spanning ten potentially glorious months.

It will sure be an adventure to remember, and though the idea may have formed many years past it really and truly only started a few hours ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment