July 30, 2008

Base camp Kent

Things here in base camp Kent are going swell and I am happy to report
that everything is pretty much still is on schedule, even the savings
are as high as I could have asked for or wanted without my having
robbed a bank first.

After a few nervous and emotional conversations with friends here I
have my paranoia pricked enough to for me to splurge out on buying
myself a few extra gizmo's and gadgets that should ease every ones
worries and fears.

I have also renewed writing on my blog and I realised that I have got
very rusty, for two reasons but both are my own fault.

Firstly I am now spending so much time writing emails and msn chatting
with various people around the world that in an effort to help them
understand me I have severely cut back on the use of my own unique
writing style and most of the time kept myself to very simple
sentences and phrases that do not rely on a full English background
growing up watching the same stuff that I was into as a child. However
I have got so much into the habit that I find it quite hard to adjust
back into "Dickon-Speak" which is my normal vocabulary and brand of
subtle and clever humour.

Secondly, possibly through not having the internet at home for such a
long time, I have become lazy and instead of writing at least an hours
worthy writing, I have been settling for just a few dashed emails
before watching a bit of late night television and then bed.

This laziness has also crept into my diet and exercise routine. Again,
I could try and make up a while string of honest excuses as to why my
weight has crept to around the 13 stone mark { around 80 kilo's for
the metric lover ), but the bare fact is that I have been enjoying too
much good food, almost no rigorous exercise at all and far to many
fizzy drinks and candy sweets, as I have such a sweet tooth its
unreal.

The double shooting of a wedding couple from Britain who were
honeymooning in Antigua has not put me off visiting anywhere, as even
though I was never actually due to visit that particular island even
if I was they were rich, in a luxury resort and they were the fist
killings of tourists for over a decade, so the chances of two in such
a short space of time is remote ... also there were signs of a
struggle in their hotel room so it is likely that they were shot for
trying to act the heroes and fight with the twilight robbers.

Over the last few weeks I have been making a real effort to visit and
spend time with as many UK based friends and family as I can, as I
know that I will be missing them a lot on my long voyage. I will be
taking a few photos with me to put up in my room on the few occasions
when I have booked a solo room, or for if the shared room is empty of
other guests.

Like most people, I have never been away from home alone for more than
a few weeks at a time, so despite my past experiences this trip will
really test me in more ways than I might first imagine. But on the
upside, I have now ripped all of my CD music collection, and that of
my sister, onto my laptops hard drive and so wherever I go I will at
the least have my tunes to keep me company, plus with my mini portable
dictaphone and digital camera I can hold interviews with a variety of
people to get their funniest travelling stories down for the record.

Being a temp for my old company for these last few weeks should of
been the greatest coup that I could have pulled off, however the work
is not there for me and so instead of getting paid for doing my old
job they have got me doing the most boring, dullest and mind numbing
chores that everyone has been avoiding for years.

There are stacks upon stacks of documents that are so ancient that
they even predate my joining the company six years ago that they have
been recently pulling out of hidden corners and asking me to file in
date order, and to cap it all off the sun has been shining brightly
outside for days now, yet I must remain strong for just a little while
longer in order to maximise my current earning potential.

There are a few films currently doing the rounds in the local cinemas
that I am half interested in watching, but I can probably watch them
in either Holland or Germany, and as I didn't find time to do this in
either country on my visit this could prove to be the perfect
opportunity to correct this blip, and it might even give it an extra
tang of authenticity when watching Kung Fu Panda by having to read
the subtitles, even if the film is in German and not Chinese or
Japanese.

As yet I am still undecided as to what my return to the UK plans will
be, and so it is still at the moment left floating in Beijing from the
12th May 2009 onward, but I had better come up with a plan before I
get there, as the Chinese are one of the few truly sticklers for visas
being obtained in advance and strictly adhered to at all costs.

No comments:

Post a Comment