July 24, 2008

No going back now

Well ... after the euphoria has died down a fraction, I had come to
realise that this is not only happening but that with all the fuss and
noise that I have been making about it, there is also no turning back
or backing out now ... I have to be totally committed to doing this or
I will look such the hot air bragging idiot that I would have to bury
my head in the sand for longer than nine months for the shame to
subside.

Although my bags aren't packed, I have made a huge dent in my
pre-travel shopping list and the items left are now only things that I
could probably pick up easy enough either here or abroad which makes
it easier.

So far the items covered :-

Passport, Rucksack, Excess Free Travel Insurance, European Medical
Card, Laptop, Camera, Webcam, Dictaphone, Clothes, T-Shirt,
Binoculars, Microfibre Towel, Fold up Beaker, Sun Glasses, Sun Cream &
Toiletries, Anti-bite Zapper, Water Sterlisation Kit, Eye Protector
and Ear Plugs, Air Plane Ear Jack & Headphones, Business Cards,
Flights, Train Tickets, Hotel Bookings, Printed & Email Downloadable
Itineary, 08/09 Diary, Notebook, Spanish Phrasebook, Tour Guide Books,
Commission Free Overseas Current Account, Credit Card, Waterproof Bag,
Playing Cards, ...

... and while the list isn't of course exhaustive, it does give an
idea of what I have done to prepare so far, and although I could
easily double or treble the list in the imaginary idyllic world where
weight and security are no issues, but I am trying to be realistic and
so keeping the list to something that is carryable.

I also came to realise that it is just not worth me trying to stick to
a £10K budget, as although I believe it is possible I have decided
that this trip should not be a nine-month exercise is restrain and
keeping my wallet firmly closed, but it should be about making the
very most out of a truly once in a lifetime experience, and for that
to happen I may well feel the need to splurge out once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment