July 26, 2008

Travel and Sex

It is quite interesting that although so far I have never been to
Thailand, because I like Asian women so much many people assume that I
have already been to Bangkok and am equally familiar with the whole
sex tourist and culture idea. I guess it doesn't help when people ask
where is the first stop on my forthcoming trip and I answer Amsterdam,
but being honest I had booked a flight direct to Toulouse for the end
of September and then had to add a few locations first when my
redundancy came through that much earlier than I first planned on.

Thinking about what sort of spin I can put on any travel book to
entice a publisher to print my book and for the public to buy it, I
have of course thought about doing the sex angle, as no one can argue
that sex sells, but as soon as I started doing even the lightest bit
of research I found I was soon so far out of my depth and comfort zone
in no time at all that it was enough for me to get the shakes and
realised that this isn't my route to fame and fortune.

From reading a myriad of reviews and journals from seasons travellers
and expat's it all too quickly seems that the first time anyone goes
anywhere they get ripped mercilessly by the locals, and being lied to
and misinformed is all just about part and parcel of the whole
experience. While the Internet has plenty of websites and links for
anyone inclined to find some company either short or long term, most
of the prices are already over hiked by a large margin and some are so
high as to be in deep orbit, and then if you want to find one in
English ... double it again.

The answer, just turn up and see what you can find from the local taxi
drivers and train station hawkers? Well no actually, as you are just
as likely to end up both robbed and shown an aged crone in a flea pit
so grimy that even the mould is out date. I am reminded of many a
conversation that I had with an old mate who said that in order to
know a place you had to stay there for at least six months, anything
less was little better than just passing through, fairly regardless of
the size of the place or how in depth your curiosity runs.

Much of the problem is that the general public don't like to see sex
on their doorsteps, that governments have to keep making it look like
they are trying to do something about the problem ( even those who are
taking brides to ensure the status quo ) and not to mention that of
course the sex industry being, innately on dodgy moral territory, is
frequented by such a shady cast of actors and dealers that it is not
really a surprise to learn that that will try and fleece you as much
as help you if given even half the chance.

The other main reason why I have decided to tackle the promotion
problem from a different angle was that again, once I had started
researching it properly, I found that both soft core and hard core,
the topic had been fairly exhausted by much more experienced,
confident and bank-rolled travellers than myself and thus anything
that I could attempt has already been done bigger, better and more in
depth that I could possibly hope to match.

With Hollywood TV shows like the "uncovered" or "real life" being such
a mainstream hit, and anything more erotic / hard core being both
illegal in most places and requiring too much local time and legwork
to prevent myself being ripped off, and thus it is that I have decided
that although I probably will not turn down a perfect opportunity
should one arise, I am not going to go out of my way try to make sex
the focus or main theme of my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment