September 20, 2006

Quarter Days

Anyone who reads my blog, either regularly or sporadic, will notice that I hardly ever talk about my job. This is because it is neither clever, exciting, fun or interesting.
 
Often people ask me why don't I change my jobs, and the answer is that I am trying but breaking into creative writing is not as easy as it sounds and being a tour guide abroad / travel writer means you need to have travelled first and then had time to write it up.
 
Airlines, train fares and my mortgage don't come free so until I do make it big I am here to stay, but no I won't be breaking a fingernail to bother with spending the next 5 years of my evenings getting part qualified just to add a few letters after my name.
 
But as an example of how boring and idiotic my job can be the most exciting thing, work wise, that happened to me in the last few months is that I found the reason why the English quarter days are when they are.
 
To wit, the four English quarter days are :- March 25th, June 24th, September 29th and Christmas Day.
 
They are set out this way, not because of the number of days between them, but because it has to be at the end of each month and March has 5 letters ( 20 + 5) , while June has 4 letters ( 20 + 4 ) and September has 9 letters ( 20 + 9 ) - with Christmas day being obviously an almost unmistakable quarter end day.
 
These dates differ from Scotland which is much more simply :- 1st January, 1st April, 1st July and 1st October.
 
Tell me again that things are a lot simpler in England ! ! !

No comments:

Post a Comment