September 12, 2006

Asleep for ten hours

Having not got as much sleep as planned on Friday and none at all on Saturday, due to being stuck adrift in London, I knew I had to recoup some of the lost sleep. Thus it was that I sent myself to bed on strict instructions to be asleep by eight. I missed it by the narrowest of margins but was happy to say I was fast asleep in la-la-land before nine.
 
Waking up the next morning I didn't feel any different, but that didn't last long.
 
On the train into work I sat next to a guy with a PSP on his lap. Instead of playing any kind of game, he was watching the immortal Bill Hicks performing his "Revelations" live stage performance.
 
I never appreciated before how expressive he was or how different each of his gags are, but even with only the minutest of sound escaping from his tiny earphones I could tell exactly what joke or comment he was up to by how he was throwing himself around the stage like a Satan possessed puppet.
 
If he were here now I am sure that he would give a deep laugh with a glint of mischievous money eyes to know that his shows are still being updated onto all the latest mediums, getting his message across to a new generation.
 
Arriving at the tube stop I could not resist laughing when I heard the station staff who called out over the tanoy system "mind the doors, please, mind the doors... I said mind the doors, what are you fecking stupid of something?".
 
I was not so happy to realise for the first time that I had got into such a habit of arriving late and catching the later train to London Bridge that I knew exactly where to stand on the tube platform to be right opposite the entrance to the escalators.
 
Waiting for the tube I was surprised to spot the very subtle subliminal message from the Rizla company on an advert for the renovations to the underground station. It was not just the words used, but also the same font, colours and repeated thin rectangular images across the advert that to me today was a dead giveaway.
 
The only thing newsworthy thing in the Metro to me was the 300 surfers who were holding their own watery goodbye to Auzzie Steve Irwin, a.k.a. the Croc Doc. I never got to meet him personally but a good mate of mine on the net once helped him fix up a Tazzi devil whilst she was over there.
 
Leaving the tube I spotted a fairly attractive woman who totally ruined her look by including a pair of hideously large and fluffy white breast enhancer discs. The fact she was very flat chested before was made more apparent with the tops of both discs clearly visible above the dress line. What WAS she thinking ???
 
Arriving at work I felt that things must surely return to normal, however one of the girls at work offered to take me to lunch and pay, which is the first time she has ever felt the desire to dip her hand into her purse and pay the lions share of the bill in all the time I have worked here ... all four years, three months and counting.
 
By home time I was feeling more myself and I rationaled that the effects of the extra sleep must have worn off by now, but it certainly gave me a glimpse of a different universe for a few hours.

1 comment:

David said...

And what a different universe.

Post a Comment