October 12, 2006

Who are you???

If you are lucky, and have a pleasing personality, you will be blessed with friends. It's rare that you and they will ever fall out, but when you do it cuts you deeper than most, and unless your completely paranoid you feel they're loyal and have got your back most of the time.
 
Unless your a hermit, or eccentric recluse, then no doubt you will also have a fair share of mates, buddies, pals or chums. The kind of folk that your happy to pass the time of day with, but wouldn't give them the keys to your house or feel comfortable sharing your inner most thoughts and secrets with.
 
Then finaly, more or less, is the rest of the population of the planet. They are the strangers, the hostile co-workers, the familiar faces on the train you don't like or want to know enough to talk to, the iritating people who stop right in front of you when your about to get off the esculator or walk through a door. They are the unnamed masses and they are everywhere.
 
There is no escaping the fact that there are billions more in the last category than in the first two combined. Thus, although your taught from a young age not to segregate people, knowing where specific people are in your own life is still important and a worthwhile mental exercise.
 
In my opinion the boundaries should be kept loose and flexible at all times, as you never know where the next-friend-at-your-side or knife-in-your-back is going to come from.
 
Various newspapers and magazines have done articles with studies showing that you spend most of your time with your mates and actually only get to spend quality time with your best friends a few times each year.
 
Asuming that this is correct then no wonder it feels like the world sucks at times, as what this is actually saying is that "the people you like the most you see the least and the people you like the least you see the most".
 
While I won't argue on a global scale, from my own point of view I think that its all backward and I know the happiest times of my life was when I was spending almost every day with my friends.
 
I get soooo internally irate when my closest friends let me down, as I know that whether I like it or not its more than likely going to be another six months at least before fate will let us coincide again.
 
And I'm not proud of my actions, but, on several times I've just totally lost the plot and given up on some very good friends after they let me down a few times in a row as I suddenly realise that its been well over a year since the last time I saw them.
 
Does my entry have a point? It must have a point ... my agent says it must ... so ok, let's find a point. { private homage to BH }
 
Instead of wasting our short and precious lives with the morons all around us, ignoring our best friends for months on end and consequently feeling depressed or down a lot of the time, lets instead chose to be happy people.
 
We should do whatever we want, whenever we want, however we want - within reason ( i.e. murder or rape are big time no no's at any time ) - and live like were actually trying to make the most of every day.
 
{ But let's not forget that debt is a cruel and mostly unforgiving mistress, plus it is considered a prudent course of action to have amassed adequate savings / private pension contributions as a backup plan in case you haven't already gone out in your own amazing blaze of glory. }
 
The most frequent comment I hear whenever I talk about the places I have visited is ... ohh, your so lucky!
 
Most people just don't know, or chose to forget, that I came from a family that was financially poor and I have never so much as won more than £100 on a raffle in my life. Yet my family was, and still is, very rich in love and emotional support for each other.
 
Thus, while a lot of people are paying for sports cars which rust, luxury clothes which wear out, jewellery which gets lost ( or stolen ) and endless nights down the pub I CHOSE to spend time with friends and family instead and all the while built up a lot of credit and savings with which to pay for my travelling.
 
I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with a fast car or designer labels, I just don't think there ist enough right with them, and you never meet your friends down the pub and have them say to you "Ooh look, you just bought yourself a pair of Reebok trainers. Your soooo lucky !?!"
 
{And if you do get this all the time, and your over thirty like I am, then your life is totally FUBAR and no thanks, I most certainly wouldn't like to do a life swap with you! }

No comments:

Post a Comment