October 19, 2006

Are you dating an Alien?

At the moment I am bunged up with the cold and flu, but I'm determined not to let this get me down too much. Instead I was thinking more about how bizarre links seem to crop up in the most unlikely of situations.
 
The comment that my friend David wrote about my song was very apt as he mentioned Bernie, who first began writing from his fathers place in Market Rasen. Why is this so relevant to a Gillingham born and bred poem/song writer like me? Well, for the last decade or more my father has been living in Market Rasen.
 
Admittedly this is not a solid concrete link of anything mystical / alien, but when you think of all the song writers he could have compared me to, and of all the towns in the world my father could have decided to move to, this is indeed a very eerie coincidence.
 
And after mulling that over for a short while, my mind began to wander and visited a memory of a most unusual conversation that I was having with my old hairdresser, who also was on my pub billiard team for a couple of years.
 
He was under the firm belief that he was engaged to a woman whose genes originated from another cosmos other than our own. IE - after living with her for a few years and mixing with her family he was convinced she was an alien.
 
Like you are probably doing now, I was sceptical at this, and yet also I was intrigued, and with this as a possible thread to something more I had to ask why he felt this, what possible reasons did he have for thinking this?
 
After all, did he mean that she slept three feet above the bed linen, or had a third eye or something?
 
No, it was just that her entire family had the very disturbing habit of finding / creating very similar links from two completely separate events or articles. Requiring just a bit more clarification I pressed on and asked for a specific instance he had notice this.
 
Thus he went on about how he was in his garage playing billiards with his almost brother in law, when all of a sudden his bro' in law took a shot and then lifted up his cue and said "There you go ... !", leaving the rest of the sentence hanging with a extremely cheesy grin spread right across his face.
 
It took my pool playing buddy a few seconds to catch on to what he meant, til eventually he realised and looking down at the table. There he saw that with his opponents last shot, he had potted all the red balls and leaving only yellow balls and the black.
 
But what was so relevant and spookie, was that the remaining yellow balls were in a perfect geometric shape of a star constellation ... and not just any old star constellation, but the very one that they had been gazing at together only the other night or so before whilst out night fishing.
 
Was it mere coincidence that all the yellow balls had come to rest in exactly the right positions to display the constellation, or was it something else, I had no idea. But what was sure freaky was that he said that this was only one tiny example of what he was on about, and that the rest of the family were just as gifted, and that far from this event being unusual this was very much the norm.
 
Assuming that this wasn't just general team-matery male bonding rubbish that he had made up then it certainly makes you think, and then again if people like David can make similar links then why not a whole family?

No comments:

Post a Comment