July 30, 2007

A Fond Fairwell To Words

I was going to start off by jotting down some flippant comment about life being like a woman, but then thought better of it. Instead I will just write a fond farewell.
 
Writing a diary style blog is always a problematic enigma, with no easy answer.
 
If you have time to write it, then its probably that your life's too quiet and thus you have nothing worth writing about, or if you do have enough exciting stuff would reading about, then your too busy actually doing it them to find time to write, { unless you actually stop doing stuff you like to fit in time to write the darn thing }.
 
Normally things go in bouts, such as there is a glut of doing stuff and no writing, followed by a lull in anything to do which leaves time for a mammoth writing session, and then it swings back again. As I said, normally, this is how my life has worked.
 
However recently I have had precious little time to write, and even when I have it has been at the expense of either something I would enjoy doing more or something that really needed doing and was put to the back of the to-do-queue yet again.
 
Each time I switch my computer on, I have to battle and juggle the various temptations of surfing the net for the usual stuff, reading my mates blogs, invading countries in a WWII game, zapping some poor NPC on WOW, seeing if any of my friends are online to chat via messenger, see if my various profiles have viewed and/or been left a message and all of a sudden its 1am ... my eyes are red and stinging, I've missed another meal time and I have to struggle to get up and hope that yet another evenings slouching won't give me chronic back again, not to mention hoping that I can wake the following morning in time to shower and still catch my normal train.
 
Frustratingly, in my view the Internet has now replaced the TV for being the number one mind & time sucking monster device in my life. It's far too easy to switch on, get comfortable and then instead of flick flick flick with the remote, its click click click with a mouse.
 
As a hero in training I have to stand up and conquer my demons before I can face the epic journey of completing my set tasks. I have to be at the top of my game, mentally and physically fit, always able at the drop of a hat to perform some challenging feat, not taking a number or watching someone else do it on Youtube.
 
If time permits, while at work I will do a few minutes surfing or reading, and I might even get to type a few lines too, but right here and now I am temporarily trading in my writers hat in for a stretchy sweatband, swimming goggles and pair of weather worn running sneakers.
 
It won't be forever, but it will probably be until after I get back from my world wide trek, so best not expect too much or too frequent in the next two years. Two years ... it sounds a lot its true, but with so much other stuff to keep everyone occupied these days, I probably will be saying 'Hi' again before most people even realise I went away in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment