July 25, 2007

Two In As Many Days

Well, this is unusual, even for me!
 
In fact, if this keeps up I will have to re-evaluate my whole thinking of the old "milk of human kindness" being a load of old hogs wash.
 
Let me start at the beginning, as I've heard its a very good place to start.
 
This weekend, being unable to visit my dad due to bad timing and ill health, has meant that I was in possession of a costly return train ticket in excess of my current needs, and furthermore being a tight git at times, I had decided to return the ticket and claim a refund  { less a £10 admin charge }.
 
A few clicks of my online account and a refund was successfully registered as being requested, and then all that remained was me sending off the tickets to a postbox in Edinburgh.
 
Easier said than done, for I did not want to bend the tickets or send them by standard post { especially not at the moment with all the postal strike action } and my jacket pockets are not that wide or deep.
 
Sufficient to say that before I even reached the train platform on my way to work this morning, the entire envelope had fallen out of my pocket and left me red faced and aghast at the loss with my train due to arrive at any second.
 
Unwilling to head off into work being an envelope light, I retraced my route onto the street outside but with no luck, so slightly resigned I returned once more to the station.
 
Seeing no queue at the furthest tellers window I figured that I had nothing to lose by asking if it had been handed in and so I quickly nipped over and asked the very pretty and young female behind the counter.
 
As soon as I said it, her face lit up in a great beaming smile and she said that yes, one had been handed in just a few minutes ago, and without any delay or hesitation she passed it over to me.
 
Thanking her profusely, I felt a weight life from my mind, and I continued on down to the platform, passing another happy young guard who also smiled as she let me through the barriers, for of course my own ticket would not have worked on the automatic barriers so soon after my exiting to check the streets.
 
To make matters even better, my train was a few minutes late arriving but more than made up for the delay by the time it reached Victoria so I was able to walk calmly and happy into work, instead of being late and frustrated which is what I feared and felt the very moment I realised that the envelope was missing.
 
So many good things happening to me all at once, was too much and I couldn't resist the urge to smile and sing as I took the thirty minute stroll to my office. What a great start to my day, and at the same time being more than just one in the eye for those who say there are no decent people left in this old crazy world we live in!

1 comment:

General Catz said...

That made me smile. Acts of kindness from strangers....

Post a Comment