February 09, 2008

A Whole Lot Of Shroving

If my childhood memories server me correctly, in days of Yore when knights were bold and peasants were poor there was a day called Shrove Tuesday where it was customary to eat up all the last scraps of the best goodies in the larder and then go on a fasting period called lent where you hardly ate anything at all, which kinda sucked.
 
I'm not sure who came up with the idea, probably those trippy Pagan druids or Christian clerics supping on too much communal wine, but it ended with another big day called Easter when you go hunting a super fast bunny rabbit who hid yummy chocolate eggs all over the place and afterwards you can watch films like Footloose and Xanadu, which didn't suck at all.
 
Anyway, Shrove Tuesday soon became a day better known as pancake day, cos the best goodies in days or Yor turned out to be pretty crummy stuff like flower, milk and eggs which alone you can't really do much with ...  until you add some lemon juice, bananas, strawberries, dark demerera sugar, galaxy chocolate ( grated ) a pinch of salt, maybe some maple syrup, cos then you whisk up the main ingredients into a pancake mix, and after frying / flipping it in duck fat you get super scrummy pancakes with a variety of toppings.
 
{ However I've half a mind to try and chop up the main ingredients as when I eat them a lot of the time the toppings try to escape out the ends!  Hmmm, I must try that next time, I guess it will work as long as the mixture is still runny and doesn't stick to the pan! }
 
But the thing is, I really dig those hoopy pancakes and I think it really bites that I have to wait a whole year between snacking them, so when Shrove Tuesday comes I have made it a Springate houserule that it is not longer Shrove Tuesday, but Shrove Tuewedthursday as this way I get to pig out three days in a row.
 
Yet however long they tried to stretch out the shroving, the fasting part was always a bummer, til a few years ago when someone decided that it wasn't worth starving yourself any more and so they shifted it to a time when you just had to give something up. But it couldn't be something you hated or never did, so you couldn't say you would give up running the marathon or eating sprouts { everyone hates sprouts } but it could be eating sweets or jelly and ice cream.
 
So this year I have decided that for lend I will give up chocolate { once I have finished the pack of minstrels left over form the cinema trip last weekend that is } , give up cocoa cola, give up burgers, give up alcohol and finally give up sex { though my friend say that this last one is too easy as I'm not getting any at the moment anyway ... curse them - grrrrrr }.

No comments:

Post a Comment