January 31, 2008

Saving before the off

Well I have done the hard bit, which is to find a route around the world that will take me to visit many of my friends, visit many of the wonders of the world and avoid the danger spots or pure tourist traps.

Finding accommodation when I am out and about should be less of a nightmare, and as long as I take a blanket and sleeping bag a few nights underneath the stars will not kill me, so long as it isn't in a blistering heat or frozen driven winds of course.

So now all I have to do is manage to save up a mere { mere, yeah right !! }  £12 to £15K to cover the day to day costs, get my travel jabs plus all entry visas required and then wait.

Upon completion of the route I was still slightly disappointed that I had to miss key places, people or regions, but even accepting that this is a once in a lifetime trip the costs to get to some places, including overland transport and hotel / hostel accommodation, was just beyond my means for this very demanding budget.

I suppose if by some bizarre twist of fate, { all winning lottery tickets and official "Support Dickon's Global Odyssey" donations greatfully accepted, ha ha } life was to suddenly drop into my lap a large fortune then I guess I could make a few changes to cover all the wonders of the world and visit each and every one of my international friends, but failing that this is a very viable route that even when you include all the accommodation and living costs will still end up being less than some people are prepared to spend on buying a new car !

1 comment:

BloggerSpamFilterisBias said...

As it turned out I saved a little under £10K but needed more than double that in the final analysis.

Post a Comment