May 17, 2007

Wedding Bells

Last weekend was a double barrel of excitiment for me, as not only was a good mate getting married but it was also my good friend and lodgers birthday party the following day.
 
The wedding was a good little function just around the corner from my place, so it wasn't too hard to get all dressed up and walk round there and then plan on staggering back a few hours later.
 
As wedding functions went it had all the usual elements of elderly gents smoking and drinking their way to oblivion a random assortment of children running amuck and playing hide and seek under the tables and a few girls on the dance floor bopping to tunes that were out of favour even when they were released back in the 60's and 70's.
 
Sadly for me, I got there a tiny bit too fashionably late and got there after my mates had all gone to confirm their hotel confirmation bookings and thus left me to the devices of old ladies hoping to matchmake another pair of singletons, the children who want someone to get their balloons down from the ceiling and the barmaids who just want to make a few tips on passing trade.
 
After about half an hour of slightly sozzled mindless chatter with my friends 7 year old son I was about to more than ready to make a subtle exit when I was relieved to see that the bride, groom and mini entourage reappeared, which in turn signalled another trip to the bar for a few more drinks.
 
A couple of hours later still I did manage to extract myself from the hubbub of merrymakers and thankfully the rain had held off enough for me to stagger, crawl and bump along the short 5 minute walk home, relieve flooding through me like never before.
 
That said, I am happy for them both, and I look forward with eagerness as to when I can inflict the same punishment on my own family and friends, ha ha ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment