March 11, 2007

Give me a Darwin Award, quick.

Today I have to nominate myself for an Honorary Darwin Award, as there is no way of hiding the shame or of sharing the blame.

{for Reference; a Darwin Award is given to a person who manages to remove themselves from the human gene pool for the benefit of mankind and by someone who knows better. Thus a suicide, baby or lunatic cannot be given an award, but an open heart surgeon who tried a solo operation on himself certainly would.}

In my life I have done some pretty crazy things, some pretty stupid things and some downright dangerous things, but today tops the cake.

What I did was not something that was even potentially fatal, but by the rules governing the awards anyone who makes themselves completely unattractive to the opposite sex as to ever prevent procreation still get an honorary mention.

I've been scammed by clever con artists, I've allowed myself to be pickpocketted, I've paid for things I never wanted and lent money to people and then never seen them again, I've even been unable to best a small child who refused to go to sleep without a story, but all these pale against the event that happened just a few hours ago.

Today, despite my previous D.I.Y. experience OR the set of instructions in front of me, I was outwitted by a piece of bedroom furniture. Now I don't mean I something as trivial as being unable to assemble a flat pack wardrobe. No.

I don't mean I completed the task and then realised I had vital pieces still in the box at the end. No.

I don't EVEN mean that I erected something that was, after construction, far too big or small for the job. No.

All those I could suffer with only mild frustration and growing annoyance at myself or the person who designed / packed it.

No, today's effort on my part went waaaaaaaaaaaaaay past anything like that.

Well what is it?, I hear you ask.

In trying to deal with the humiliation I have to admit that during construction I totally lost track of all spacial awareness and actually managed to build it around myself and so ended up pinning myself against a wall with nowhere to go and no room to move, save to dismantle part of it and climb out.

So I ask you, if you were a self respecting woman, as some of my reading no doubt are, would YOU date a man so inept that he allows himself to be outwitted by an inanimate object, or worse beaten by an inanimate object that wasn't even there to start with?

No, I don't suppose you would, and I for one don't blame you for it in the slightest. I wouldn't date me either!

8 comments:

mirk said...

There is a bright side... you will never be pestered by the ladies into going to that Scandinavian hellhole that is IKEA aaaarrrrrghhh

Anonymous said...

This story is plumb hysterical, hilarious situation and superb writing to highlight the full enormity of your plight! Thanks for a brilliantly entertaining read, Dickon. I added a link to your story from my homepage, The Darwin Awards.

BloggerSpamFilterisBias said...

Wow - high praise indeed. And on this special occasion I will happily suspend my normal rights and pass this particular entries rights over to the author of 'The Darwin Awards'.

Let's face it, I never imagined that I would even get notice when I wrote this, and so if it is considered good enough to have a link from the homepage, then my mishap might even go global in a future publication.

I always wanted to go down in history remembered for something, and I reckon so much better if it is for something funny!

Anonymous said...

And I thought I was daft. Way to go, pea-brain! By the way, when're we going to the flicks again?

Anonymous said...

wow dude way 2 go... geez i thought i was a tart... but dude just try to find an even dumber girl (trust me they exist) then u can seem smart again... so i waould have to not give u an honorable mention...srry dude

Anonymous said...

interesting story sir, i think applause is deserved, but my main reason for commenting is in reference to your copyright notice. i think your blog should come under the protection of creative commons (search for it, but i think it's as simple as creativecommons.com) simply choose your licence (they have a few allowing you to give as much or as little freedom to people to copy your work as you wish) and then copy the html code onto the homepage of your blog. it's free and only takes a couple of minutes to set up.

Jezaib said...

I still have a burn scar from touching an electric element (see http://darwinawards.com/slush/200611/pending20061115-190751.html)...
I feel your pain.
venomlash

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding a man that admits he's wrong even when theres no one there to catch him in the act??? You should be swamped with women

1%

Post a Comment