February 04, 2007

Effusive

Effusive ... meaning " Unrelenting emotional and expressive : gushy "
 
Let this be a lesson and rude awakening for all those who think having friends abroad is a waste of time or that their English is too poor to understand.
 
At the age of 30, and considering myself to be fairly well read across a variety of genres, I cannot remember once coming across the word "Effusive", yet one of my foreign penfriends used it in a sentence like any other common or everyday word.
 
I had to look it up myself, just to be sure that it wasn't a spelling mistake, and was humbled when I had to accept that it was correctly used and more apt than any other word that I would have used in its place.
 
"To obtain true wisdom and enlightenment, you must first accept that you do not always know better and then open your eyes to the world around you to see what it will teach you next." - Dickon Springate, February 2007

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was this word "effusive" used as a description relating to your humble self, by any chance??

BloggerSpamFilterisBias said...

No no, it was about poetry in general, in a letter addressed to me requesting help in searching out English poems on the subject of Peace.

Anonymous said...

hmmm....iam glad that you enjoy the word !!!
Candy

Post a Comment