November 01, 2006

What links Work, Callahan and a Leach ... read on

You know when its time to move on when the moral of the office has got so cold and low that even a snowplough would find it hard to scrape it off the floor.
 
When we all found out this morning that our companies parent company have decided to ring in sweeping changes that take away the last of the personality of the old company already more than a few of us began to drag out and dust off our our old CV's and consider updating them.
 
But when they were caught red handed intercepting and reading emails of staff, and not just any old staff but even company directors and the actual MD himself, then IMHO its time to cash in your chips and walk away.
 
Which is a real pain as on the train coming into work this morning I just finished reading "Callahans Con" and thus the largest emotion running through me at the moment is, or was, free love for one and all regardless of their situation or background.
 
It is not lightly that I say I more than enjoy reading anything from Spider Robinson, as he has such a way with words that I don't even want to find fault in his work and am happy to fall completely in with the illusion that I have just pulled up a bar stool beside Jake, Eddie and the rest of the crowd.
 
Even if I am cynical enough to know that the world around me is a big and nasty place, its still refreshing and entertaining to be able to place in a place where there just are no justified prejudices and where there is a group of friends that honest-to-Gaea are so farther down the road to true enlightenment and spiritual awareness that they can on occasion form a comune of true telepathic ability.
 
Sure, it sounds like sci-fi and it probably is, but to me its more like the proper next step of human evolution and if she species wants to survive then I'd also say its almost essential that someone somewhere starts to try and go down that route, or else were all in deep deep FUBAR.
 
It is also a place where I could see myself fitting in and being happy to while away many an evenings swapping puns, singing, listening to acoustic guitar riffs and the most excellent pianist that the Bronx even produced. Oh, and did I say that its also probably one of the only bars that you would be most welcome in at any time, on any day, in any clothes, with anyone you chose to have accompany you and drink whatever the damn hell you felt like without even raising so much as an eyebrow from anyone else!
 
The only other noteworthy thing to write about is that I went to see my doctors yesterday, to get something for my long-overdue-time-to-go-away cough. I was pleasantly flabbergasted that I was only in the waiting room for under two minutes before being given the go ahead to see my doctor.
 
I was less than impressed however than again in under two minutes he had diagnosed it as "a minor chest infection" and prescribed a course of Amoxicillin for the next week. This is, for the uninitiated, the westerns worlds modern equivalent to the leach of the dark ages.
 
Regardless of what seems to ail you, their first suggestion is to "take three Amoxicillin tablets each day for the next week and come back if things haven't improved". However as it got me home early in plenty of time to give out treats to my families kids on Halloween evening, then I guess in some ways it was worth the hassle of getting a half day from work.

No comments:

Post a Comment