November 17, 2006

Letter to Boiler Repair Man

Friday 17th November 2006
Mr Robinson
With regards to the repair of the leak on my Alpha Ocean 240 Combi
boiler, I hereby include a cheque in full and final settlement for
£75.
When we initially spoke on the phone I gave you details of my boiler,
the nature of the leak and requested you come round to view it and
provide me a free estimate. Shortly after you visited my house I
contacted you again and you said that it was about "2 hours work,
required several washers and some other parts" and quoted £125 plus
VAT.
Realising that this seemed high for what to me seemed such a small
leak and minor fault, I requested that you also perform a service, to
which you agreed."
Seeing as the parts used were readily available from any plumbers
merchants or hardware store, I have guestimated that you were charging
£25 maximum for parts and £50 for each hours labour.
So I was more than a little upset to learn that you have only spend
around 20 minutes to change the one washer and then leave.
How on earth could a Corgi certified plumber , such as yourself,
having already been made aware of the problem and seen the fault
personally, make such a huge overestimate of time and resources?
What made matters worse is that you displayed little or no care when
moving about in my house, having been witnessed by my lodger treading
dirt into my front room carpet, but more seriously bashing my bead
curtain with your toolbox and managing to break off several of the
strands. As I have myself managed to move entire wardrobes and even
mattresses up and down my flight of stairs with relative ease, I find
it unacceptable that you could not traverse through an open doorway
without causing this damage.
Having already given the boiler a general inspection myself, and
having it second opinioned by a friend who is a plumber / electrician,
I can see no signs what-so-ever of you making any attempt to give any
other part of the boiler even a quick once over, let alone a complete
service.
If you had given it a once over then certainly you would have no doubt
disturbed the thick dust that is on most of the boiler! Also you would
have spotted that some of the other washers are also on there way out
as I feel it would have been prudent to either replace, or at least
mention this, on your invoice.
What you have actually done, is nothing short of attempting to
seriously short change me, by charging me 2 hours work when all you
did was change a single washer, that took you no more than 10 minutes.
Your website advertising a free call out, but even if you include that
and the time to travel from Chatham and back it still does not come
close to 2 hours time or effort.
As such I still feel highly overcharged in agreeing to pay a single
hours time, plus some towards the one washer, but will do so in an
attempt to settle this amicably. I have not at this time deducted the
price of getting my carpets cleaned or in replacing the broken bead
curtain, but if you should seek additional funds then I will be forced
to do so as well as getting an independent mediator.
Regards

No comments:

Post a Comment