July 07, 2006

Tricks of the mind

One of my favourite easy listening bands is the group "Deacon Blue".

The band had a number of hits in the 80's and possibly 90's, and one of my personal favourites is "Fergus sings the blues".

Whilst I was sitting on the train coming into work this morning I read the headline "Fergie gets Lippi" - and my mind jumped to the Deacon Blue track, and quickly afterwards I began to sing it - karioke being another liking of mine.

Upon singing the first two lines to the song, being "Fergus sings the blues, in bars of twelve or less." when I suddenly realised what that second line meant.

For over a decade I had the mental image of Fergus being an almost monotone singer who had a limited vocal range, and thus was considered a bad singer.

However, having seen an episode of Jonathan Creek, where the character Adam Klauss gets all melancholy and goes to sing and play guitar in an almost empty gin joint, the original songs lyrics suddenly had a new meaning to me.

I find it weird how despite a decade of liking and singing a song, and even half learning the lyrics, it still took this outside source to finally make me realise exactly what the song was really all about.

Equally strange is how the mind jumps from one seemingly unrealted event to another. From the millions of people who read that paper I doubt if even 1% of them made a similar link in their own minds.

Sort of helps to remind me how despite us all being the same ( human beings ) we are also all quite unique and different from every other one.

I also saw a vampire film called "The Breed" last night, which had some nice ideas but personaly I hated the film. The script was ok and both the acting and special effects were passable, but something in the storyline and character development just seemed so very wrong, yet I cannot put my finger on it ... yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment