July 09, 2006

Rob & Natalies Moving in Party

I first met Rob almost a decade ago and although we don't seem to meet up more than a few times each year it is enough for me to consider him a good, if not close, friend.

He has a generous and good natured quality to him that encourages you to want to be his friend. He is both geeky enough and well rounded enough to have a sensible conversation about just about everything.

He has the natural flamboyant and over-exagerated expressions that would not out of place in a good standup comedy show. His life partner, and hopefully one day fiance, Natalie I know less but that is only because I knew him years before her.

Just as kind heartly she is the more sedate and calm of the two, but an almost perfect match and complements him in a way that few partners do these days. I have never seen them argue, fight or insult each other in public, are always smiling and happy whenever you meet them and always have great news and stories to tell you.

But the thing that I most admire about these two people (as I do with all my good friends) is their total indescriminate and randomness with their choice of friends.

Not that they suffers fools gladly, or will call just anyone friend - but amoung their parties you can find all manner of people, across the most diverse range.

Between about twenty people at their house warming party earlier to day I found old familar faces as well as new friends and could just as easily be talking to a computer geek, teacher, warehouse packer, nurse, biker, accountant, dole-ite (unemployed), squaddie (soldier) or merchant seaman.

And just as often you will also be mixing with all ages, sexes, races and those with disabilities ( mental, physical and the partially insane ).

Yep, although they are far removed from what the media would have you believe is the typical model couple, if I had to chose a couple that I would want future generations of the human race to be modelled upon then these two would be high up on my list of probable candidates.

At their parties, which almost always end up mainly in their kitchen, I have always found at least two people that can follow a conversation regardless of where I may try to lead it.

With Rob being a teacher, hockey player and llamalan team leader ( computer group that meet up and get massively drunk as well as playing games together in one big hall ) the night will always have some talk of the last gathering they have.

Role play, and live role play, plus paintball and up coming events will equally be almost always discussed. Then quality music and films, Monty Python / Blackadder sketches being re-enacted by some while other laugh hysterically will then dominate for awhile, before more alcohol is consumed, and then its either books / authors, anti-politics ( like how did either Bush or Blair manage to get elected let alone both be re-ellected ) before the clock strikes midnight.

At this stage I often bow out before I am actually drunk and thus before I forget where I am and start making overly forward comments / gestured towards Natalie or her equally atractive but slightly younger sister.

Regardelss of how civilized or haphazard they allow the evenings entertainment to become there are always, and I mean always, high points that I will remember for months to come as well as moments where I end up laughing so hard my sides hurt and if i am drinking anything then I have to force myself not to spray it around the room.

Although in my own style, I often try to ensure that my parties are as active as theirs, but with myself being less overly extrovert and also being slightly more concerned with the state of the house in the morning I never quite seem to capture the relaxed attitude of theirs.

Then again, everyone who comes to my parties always tell me what a great time they are having and express their desires to come to my next bash, so maybe its just the curse of being the host - in that thus far I have never allowed myself to relax enough at one of my own parties.

Hmm ... tricky one.

--- and just before I go, I am curious about how many people ( if any ) are actually reading this blog. So if you are reading this blog then please do leave a comment, as I love getting feedback and have yet to find any that I have decided was not worth posting. ---

No comments:

Post a Comment