June 11, 2006

World Cup Fever 2006 Begins Now

I'm having a lot of fun with mini bets on the World Cup at the moment.

I was doing fine except I had my biggest bet of £15 on Sweden to beat the minnows Trinidad & Tobago. T&T were odds 1001:1 to win whole thing vs Swedes at 41:1, so I figures with the odds stacked heavily against them it was almost a guaranteed result.

30 Seconds after half time when T&T lost a man for a harsh second yellow card offence I thought "pity, but that secured my bet"...but no, and i have never been more glad to lose a bet in my life. The Soca Warriors lived up to their name and fought on with a passion and belief that is pure caribbean magic. In fact, in my opinion, T&T looked like the better team, not only holding on for a draw but still attacking and going for a win, in the process gaining a richly deserved point.

After this heroic performance, and being this years World Cup Underdogs, I would love them to go on and gain even more respect and recognition, especially while the bigger named teams struggle to perform.

In fact if they were in any other group I would now be routing for them whole hearted, but as they are Englands next opponents I can't really. However, it would be fantastic if they could tie against us and then beat Paraguay to go through the group in second place.

Especially as I feel they would do well against either Germany or Ecuador. With their passion and belief I could see them reach the quarters and face the mighty Argentines.

Coté D'Ivory (Ivory Coast) are another outside team that played well in their first game against the Argentines, but failed to secure a point. With Holland also in their group its very hard for them to take this defeat and still progress in the competition.

I'm still waiting for my personal favourite foreign teams of Brazil, Spain, Czech Republic & South Korea to play. Each World Cup this list grows and although I don't follow any league team I can't help but love the flair and differing styles that the different nations bring to the game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wonderful comments on the TnT blog :)

Can't wait for Thursday!

Karel Mc Intosh said...

"I am a Soca Warrior. I say win or lose I am a fighter." Lyrics and song - Maximus Dan, 2006.

That's what we came to the World Cup to do, fight, fight to show we deserve to be on that field, fight to dispel all the disrespectful and degrading jeers heaped upon our 'small island'.

I'm proud to be a Trini, proud to be a Soca Warrior. We've shown that we will keep fighting and keep our heads high. I, like many others, was disappointed that we went down in the last few minutes, so close to the finish line. But I didn't feel defeated. But I so wanted those boys to get what they deserved, a point for drawing or 3 points for winning. They worked so hard. That referee had issues and wasn't always fair (understatement), but hey England better be ready for us next World Cup, cuz we comin again!!!

And Crouch, instead of grabbing people's dreadlocks, grow your own :)

Post a Comment