April 20, 2011

Constructive Critism

There is an old English saying that goes, "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well" and though that may be, it doesn't exactly end the argument.

When I first set up my blog back in 2006 I spent hours and hours trying to get it to look just right, and I had done well.

Then a little over a month ago I decided to give it an overhaul after witnessing the new template and widgets that blogger had to offer, and again I spent hours and hours on it and again I did well.

Which brings us up to today, as I have spent much of the last two days rejigging my blog yet further, after a friend suggested that it now encompassed so many different elements that it had lost its direction, purpose and identity and was thus beginning to sink under the weight of its own content.

So what I did was to create several similar websites that all ran from the same main account, transfered across all the entries and comments, gave each website its own identity and feel and then linked them all together again, with an end result that I feel proud of and again I feel I have done well.

So getting back to my original point, at each stage I had done a worthy blog but as the software, my skills and my understanding increased between each effort I felt that I had to go back and redo a former good job that ended up looking old and not as polished as it once did.

No comments:

Post a Comment