May 27, 2009

A Double Edged Sword

I am beginning to accept that my trip around the world was a bit of a double edged sword, it was both the best time in my life and yet due to lack of planning about my return to the UK I am now on the verge of losing my house and financial ruin.

I cannot say that I regret a single day of travelling, yet the fact that I clearly had not raised enough funds to adequately cover my trip and the return to the UK has meant I am being chased daily by my debtors, have received numerous letters threatening legal action and my house will soon be repossessed unless something changes for the better and fast.

I should have never remortgaged my house in the past so that there was precious little equity left, I should have left enough funds aside to cope with emergency repairs / renovations to my property and i should have been more careful with my funds while abroad, perhaps going to
restaurants and cinemas less often and instead buying cheap food from supermarkets.

While it may be true that had I left my departure date off for another couple of years I might never have got the opoprtunity to go, as it is I am now feeling that despite not selling my house I still had pretty much burned my bridges back in the UK and that I should have never
bothered coming back and instead stayed in either South America or Asia and tried to make a new life for myself over there.

As always, things seem much clearer in hindsight and I can see now that despite a years planning and savings I was still in no fit position to go travelling with the current financial crisis already starting to bite down.

My other main personal failing is that I did not bother to study when I was working in London and so am not ACCA qualified and thus the chance of walking into another accounts job was always going to be much harder than it should have been, as has proven by the number of rejection emails I have received.

My biggest fear now is that I do not want to go from one mistake to the next, and yet with each day my choice of options is dwindling.

Just to recap - I have a house with no equity one missed payment and in need of electrical and damp work repairs, I have no job or savings to speak of, I have furniture stored at family and friends, I have no girlfriend or dependents here in the UK and I am in debt to a number of banks and credit cards.

1 comment:

brian said...

Wow I am sorry to hear that. Best thing to do is to continue to take action and try to find a job now. Anyone you can borrow some funds from????

Post a Comment