October 16, 2008

Attempted Theft

Well I had been warned, so it wasn't a real surprise when it happened, although to be honest there is still a slim possibility that it is my paranoi making up stories.
So to tell the story, there I was in the hotel lobby towards the rear of the main entrance with my laptop surfing for something to do and minding my own business and only in the reception cos they are too cheap to install a good enough wifi server to get to the rooms above.
What is more the photos of the outside and the rooms are totally different from the ones that they have on their website, and if it was any more expensive I would try and have them done for trades description act, but that's another fight for anoher day.
Anyway, I would not have said that anything or anyone was out of place and of course then theives don't wear signs telling you who they were, but every now and again you spot some one that to you has shifty eyes or is acting suspicious to your mind which switches your senses on red alert, and right then a guy came round with a baseball cap and did just that, he got me all on edge.
Eventually he wandered off but a few minutes later the telephone goes in the hotels main reception and then the check-in guy comes over telling me that I have a phone call. Now, I hadn't told anyone what my phone number of the hotel was so it was very unlikely to be for me, but then I had been trying to reach the travel agents to change a flight booking and that was top of my mind at that second, so I fell for it and went up to answer the phone, but chose a phone nearer to my laptop than the one in the main reception.
Once I had the checkin guy put it through it was someguy speaking portuguese and all I got was something about a restaurant before I knew it was a scam and withouth hesitation I slammed the phone down and spun round like a whip. Although my laptop was still there, the guy had returned and was still acting shifty to my mind and I would bet anything that had I fallen completely for the trap, used the main reception telephone and stayed on the line to try and understand the call with possibly the help of the receptionist then by the time I would have gone back to my seat both the laptop and the shifty eyes man in the baseball cap would have been gone.
For me, there is only the tiniest doubt that it wasn't a real attack and just my paranoia acting up and the only serious doubts that I have are a) was the hotel in on it, b) could I prove their involvement and c) how long would it have been before I could get an insurance payout if at all, and finaly d) would I have had to remain here for another week or so while it all went through the system.
All in all I am happy to have my paraoid fears and my laptop than be happily at ease all the time right up until the time when I have it stolen.

No comments:

Post a Comment