January 19, 2007

Guardian Angels

On many occasions I have heard tales of the fact that I must have a guardian angel looking over me, ( either that or I'm destined for a truly terrible end at a much later date, hmmm ) and what happened to me last night is yet one more example to prove this.
 
It's a very simple example, but never-the-less sent a powerful message to me.
 
After babysitting for my sister I came home late last night, after an hiatus of almost three full days, to find my house silent and in total darkness, with me lodger being absent all this week house-sitting his parents place.
 
I opened the door, noticing that there was a newspaper wedged in my letter-slot, and instinctively reached out with my hand to switch on the light.
 
Here is where my entire life balanced on a knife edge, as even as my fingers groped in the darkness I got the feeling that something was not quite right.
 
"Click" went the switch as I suddenly realised what was wrong ... I could not help but smell an almost overpowering reek of gas.
 
How this didn't trigger an explosion I will never know, but I managed to make my way to the kitchen without any further switched being flicked and turned off the gas stove, which I had carelessly left on since lunchtime three days ago.
 
Perhaps it was the bathrooms tiny extractor fan that had released enough gas to prevent a fatal buildup. Or perhaps it was the broken roof hatch cover or my missing letterbox cover, or even a combination of all three.
 
Whatever the truth is, I am happy to be counting my blessing one more time, and when I woke this morning ( having already heavily air-venting the entire downstairs last night ) I could not but do so without a great smile on my face and a spring in my step, even as I headed off to work.
 
You never know what life is going to throw at you, all you can do is live life to the fullest and be truly thankfully if you make it to the end of a day in one piece.
 
To all of you reading this, I wish you a year filled with happiness, fun, adventure and most of all careful safety.

No comments:

Post a Comment